Click link to view photos with descriptions:
Composite MAP: Bay View Park (City Point Park)
The Story of the Ducks & a Poem ‘In Memoriam’ (scroll down for history of Civil War monument)
The park was always very neat and maintained by an old timer by the name of Steve Knup. Steve and family lived in the last house at the end of Sea St. [No. 21]. He raised chickens and ducks. The ducks in the pond were his.
Every morning he walked his ducks to the pond, and every evening he walked them back to their coop. He cut the grass, he raked the leaves and shoveled the snow. He maintained the waste barrels and took care of the flowers and trimmed the bushes.
The back of St. Peter’s (“The Oval”) was for ball playing, but sometimes a group of teens would try to play ball on Steve’s grass–but they would be chased from the park as soon as Steve saw them!
[submitted by Doug Kelsey, Oct. 3, 2008, a City Point resident from 1925 to 1942]
Civil War 9th Regiment Monument
Click the following link for a detailed history & description of the park’s monument:
Camp Lyon was named after Gen. Nathanial Lyon of Conn.: the first Union officer killed during the Civil War (Aug. 1861). In addition to the 9th Regiment (for whom the monument is dedicated), the 15th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry (known as the Lyon Regiment) also encamped here, its Company D being comprised mostly of New Haven residents.
Gerard Hallock owned the land at this time and volunteered its use for this purpose–despite his being an ardent pacifist and therefore adamantly opposed to the war. His newspaper editorials criticizing the Lincoln administration’s refusal to negotiate with the South after the seizure of Fort Sumter—editorials which resulted in the US Post Office refusing to deliver his newspaper to customers, thereby forcing Hallock into retirement–and his insistence on upholding constitutional law & procedure (and therefore his opposition to northern “personal freedom” laws) earned him the reputation as being pro-slavery. In fact, prior to the war he purchased the freedom of approximately 100 southern slaves, and believed (rather naively we can say today) that slavery could be ended gradually by converting slave owners to a “more authentic” Christianity. City Point’s Hallock Ave. was named after him by his heirs a year after his death in 1866.